Chicken with Grano (Grano di Pollo)
- 3 boneless chicken breasts cuthalf
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- Fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup grano or Pearled Soft White Wheat ND
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 soup can water
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. minced parsley
- Combine 4 cups water, salted as you would for pasta, and Grano in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, until Grano is tender but still chewy, about 30-35 minutes. Drain well.
- Coat chicken breasts with bread crumbs. Melt butter and brown chicken breasts on both sides. Remove from pan. Add celery, onion, mushrooms, and carrot to drippings and sauté 10 minutes. Add rice and Grano; stir. Mix soup and water and add to pan. Stir mix ingredients and place chicken breast on top of mixture. Place in oven and bake 45 minutes at 350°F. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Note: Use a pan that can go from stove top to oven to table.