Chicken Tabbouleh in Live Lettuce Cups
- 1 cup Sunnyland #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth - low salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth - low salt
- 1 large large red pepper sliced and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced and chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions (whites and greens) sliced small
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 tbs. La Salsa Chilena medium-hot chili pepper la salsa found in the deli section, or use any fresh chili pepper salsa
- 1 head live gourmet butter lettuce separated into cups - washed and dried
- If you like lettuce wraps in upscale Chinese restaurants, you will really love this higher fiber, lower fat ensemble of ingredients. The crunchiness of the lettuce is a perfect compliment to the savory filling.
- Toast the bulgur wheat lightly in a nonstick skillet over medium heat (stirring constantly until golden brown). Pour bulgur wheat into hot chicken broth (very slowly), stir only once; cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let liquid absorb until bulgur wheat is al dente. Remove cover and let cool.
- Cook chicken in chicken broth in a large sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes; let cool then take chicken and put into a food processor, chopping until coarsely ground. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat; cover; add red peppers, onions and cilantro and cook until soft.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, bulgur and chili pepper salsa to mixture and mix together; cook and serve hot.
- Let the flavors marry! Make 6 hours before or 1 day ahead and refrigerate.
- Great appetizer! Serve in a bowl surrounded by lettuce cups (live gourmet butter lettuce or romaine leaves). Fill with mixture and wrap up or open wheat pita bread, line with romaine leaf and fill pita with the mixture
Per Serving Nutrition Info: 190 cal; (30 from fat); 3.5g total fat; (1g sat fat); 25g prot; 14g total carb; 55mg chol; 370mg sod; 3g fiber, 2g sugar Nutritional analysis for these recipes may vary slightly depending on choice of ingredients.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.