Chicken Soup with Leeks and Lemon
- 2 quarts chicken or turkey stock (preferably homemade)
- 1 lb. leeks (white and light green parts only, cleaned and sliced thin)
- 2/3 cup #3 coarse bulgur
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- Fresh juice 2 (6 to 8 tbsp.) lemons (strained, to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley or dill (for garnish)
- Combine the stock and leeks, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add bulgur and continue to simmer until the grain is cooked through, 15 to 30 minutes. Taste and adjust salt.
- Beat together the eggs and lemon juice until frothy in a medium bowl.
- Just before serving, making sure that the broth isn’t boiling, gradually add 2 cups to the egg and lemon mixture while beating vigorously with a whisk to prevent the eggs from curdling. Turn off the heat under the soup, pour the egg-lemon mixture into the soup, stir well and serve, adding a bit of pepper to each bowl and garnishing with chopped fresh parsley or dill.
- Advance prep: You can make this soup through the first step several hours before serving, but the bulgur will continue to absorb liquid; if you do make it ahead, use 1/2 cup instead of 2/3 cup.
* Recipe courtesy of Martha Rose Shulman