Bulgur with Leeks, Cranberries and Almonds
- 6 tbsp. (3/4 stick) butter or olive oil
- 3 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 5 cups chicken broth (low-salt)
- 3 cups #3 coarse bulgur
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries (chopped)
- 2/3 cup almonds (sliced, toasted)
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped leeks and saute until very tender, about 12 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in bulgur and boil 5 minutes. Add dried cranberries. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 15 minutes; fluff with a fork. Mix in sliced almonds and season to taste with salt and pepper.