Bulgur Wheat with Veal Steaks
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 2/3 to 1 cup chicken stock or water for wheat
- 1 tbsp. olive oil approx.
- 2 veal steaks
- 1/2 cup chicken or veal stock
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3 sundried tomatoes chopped coarsely
- 1 red pepper diced or 1 diced red roasted pepper
- sea salt cracked pepper, ground cumin
- 1 fresh hot red pepper-seeded veins removed and diced fine
- 1 shallot chopped
- fresh flat leaf parsley and sage chopped
- mixed fresh exotic mushrooms (i.e. shitake, white trumpet)
- racicchio-long leaf variety-6 large leaves washed and dried
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. hoisin sauce optional
- Few dashes rice or balsamic vinegar optional
- 1/2 tsp. arrowroot dissolved in 1/4 cup white wine
- 1-2 tsp. unsalted butter
- In a medium hot saucepan, add olive oil, sundried tomatoes, red peppers and bulgur wheat. Stir for about a minute then add 1/4 cup white wine. Stir until almost all the wine is absorbed and add stock or water. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes and then shut off heat and let steam (if using electric stove, remove from burner and place on a cool burner) while you cook the veal.
- Heat a saute pan until hot. Season the veal steaks with sea salt, cracked pepper and ground cumin. Add oil to pan and brown veal. Do not move the veal around in the pan, let it sit to get brown. If you are afraid the veal may stick, use a non-stick pan. After 2-3 minutes, turn the veal and brown on other side and add the fresh hot peppers if using. After another 2 minutes, remove veal and as much of the peppers to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add some more oil and add sliced mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until they turn brown and wilt. Remove them from the pan; add shallots and remaining wine and deglaze the pan. Reduce for a minute or two over high heat. Add additional 1/2 cup stock and let reduce for a minute. If using hoisin sauce, add now and stir to incorporate into sauce. Add arrowroot slury and/or some butter. Stir to thicken over heat (arrowroot or other starch must come back to a boil).
- Slice veal steaks into strips and, if cool or too undercooked, add back to pan with sauce to heat through. Add mushrooms to pan to incorporate into the sauce. Arrange 3 radicchio leaves in each plate and spoon some bulgur wheat into each leaf. Sprinkle with a bit of vinegar if using. Arrange slices of veal between radicchio cups and then spoon mushroom sauce on plate.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.