- 10 small red and orange Bell peppers (Capsicum)
- 1/4 cup #1 fine bulgur wheat – buy bulgur wheat here
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic , crushed or grated
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Roasted Peanuts (Moongphali) , de-husked
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 2 teaspoons Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli flakes , (optional)
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Place the bulgur wheat in ceramic bowl and add 1/2 cup boiling water, cover and set aside
Prepare the peppers for stuffing by carefully removing the green stem part, slitting each one through the middle, dividing into two equal portions. Remove the seeds and set aside while you prepare the filling for the stuffed peppers.
Heat a stir fry pan over medium heat. Add the whole coriander seeds, peanuts, cumin, and red chili. Dry roast them for few minutes or till pleasant aroma of spices is released. Transfer to a bowl. Once cooled, grind them to a powder in the mixer.
In the same pan, heat olive oil, add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté till they turn soft and light brown in color.
Now, add the spice powder mixture, stir to combine and sauté for few seconds. Add cooked bulgur wheat, lemon juice, salt to taste.
Stir to combine and turn off the heat. Check the salt and seasonings and adjust to suit your taste
Now, preheat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a baking sheet with little olive oil.
Spoon equal amounts of the stuffing into each half of the peppers. Arrange the stuffed peppers on the baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until the peppers are nicely roasted and cooked.
Serve as an appetizer, side dish or main dish.
Bulgur Wheat Stuffed Mini Peppers