Bulgur Wheat Dinner Rolls
- 1/2 cup #2 medium or #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Place the bulgur wheat into a bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Cover and soak it for an hour until it has absorbed all the water. Drain any excess water.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and stir to dissolve. Heat the milk in a pan until it starts to bubble around the edges of the pan. Add the oil, honey and salt and mix until blended. Cool to lukewarm and mix the bulgur wheat and the flour gradually until it is too stiff to beat. On a lightly floured surface, knead it well until elastic and smooth. Make a round and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let it rest until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Roll out into 10-12 balls (depending on the size), place them on a greased baking sheet and let it rise until almost doubled in size (about 1/2 hour). Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 18-20 minutes or until risen and browned.
They can be frozen and reheated for later uses.