Bulgur Wheat and Garbanzo Summer Salad
- 2 cups #3 coarse Bulgur Wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste to taste
- 1 whole large garlic clove pressed or minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- pinches a fewof each: ground cardomon coriander, cumin and cayenne
- 1 whole small onion diced
- 1 whole tomato diced
- 1 whole cucumber diced
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans drained
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup craisins dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 whole basil leaves thinly sliced for garnish
- Put bulgur wheat in a large bowl, add the boiling water and stir. Let stand 30-60 minutes. If there is standing water after that time, drain it before proceding.
- In a small bowl, add lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Whisk in the oil to make an emulsion. Add the spices, which are optional if you do not have them.
- Add the onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, garbanzos, toasted pine nuts and craisins to the bulgur and stir with a fork. Add the mint and cilantro and drizzle with the dressing; stir well. Before serving, thinly slice the basil leaves and sprinkle over the top. Salad can be served room temperature or cold.