Bulgur, Vegetable and Watercress Salad
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 cup no-salt-added or homemade vegetable broth or water
- 3 cups no-salt-added cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium medium cucumber peeled and cut into small dice
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes each cut in half
- 1 scallion trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. white miso paste
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 cups fresh watercress leaves
- Flesh of 1 avocado cut into cubes
- Combine the bulgur and broth or water in a medium bowl. Cover and let sit for at least 90 minutes at room temperature, or refrigerate overnight. (If using whole-wheat couscous, it will be ready after about 45 minutes but can also refrigerate overnight.) When ready to serve, fluff the bulgur with a fork. Add the chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes and scallion, and toss to incorporate.
- Whisk together the miso, sesame oil, vinegar, vegetable oil and honey in a medium bowl. Pour all but 2 Tbsp. over the bulgur mixture and toss to incorporate.
- Divide the watercress leaves among salad plates or bowls. Drizzle with the remaining dressing. Mound some of the bulgur mixture on top of each portion, add the avocado and serve.