Bulgur Salad with Yellow Squash, Zucchini and Portobellos
- 1-1/2 cups (10 oz) medium grind bulgur 10 oz.
- 3 cups boiling water
- 4 tbsp. Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bunch bunch scallions thinly sliced
- 1 summer squash cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 inch grilled portobello mushrooms cut into 1/2pieces
- 1 can (15 oz.) chick peas drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine the bulgur and boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes or until the bulgur has softened. With a large spoon, transfer the bulgur to a large fine-meshed strainer set over a bowl. Drain, pressing out excess liquid with the back of the spoon. Wipe out the first bowl and return the bulgur to it. With a fork, fluff the grain and leave to cool to room temperature.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Add the scallions and cook for 1 minute. Add the summer squash, zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes more. Stir in the mushrooms. Set aside to cool.
- Add the zucchini mixture, chick peas, tomatoes, mint, parsley, remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil and lemon juice to the bulgur. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, pepper or lemon juice if desired.