Bulgur Salad with Lightly Roasted Vegetables
- 2 cups #3 coarse bulgur (rinsed)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 medium zucchini (cut into 1/4 inch dices)
- 1 medium carrot (cut into 1/4 inch dices)
- 1 small red onion (cut into 1/4 inch dices)
- 1/2 bell pepper (cut into 1/4 inch dices)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 medium cucumber (peeled and seeded, cut into 1/4 inch dices)
- crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, cover the bulgur with the hot water and let stand until the water has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender; about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on a large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the zucchini, carrot, onion and bell pepper with 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Season with salt and peppe3r and toss well. Roast for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are slightly softened; let cool.
- Fluff the bulgur with a fork. Stir in the tomato paste. Fold in the roasted vegetables, lemon juice, cucumber and the remaining 2 Tbsp. of olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Note: The bulgur salad can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight.