This bulgur wheat salad is colorful and light, incorporating fresh herbs, walnuts, apricots, radicchio, and a lemony dressing. Like with any bulgur salad, this is infinitely adaptable by adding your favorite ingredients and using a variety of dressings. Bulgur Wheat is chewy and nutty-tasting, it’s high in fiber, protein, and nutrients.
This recipe has been adapted from Serious Eats.
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 small head radicchio, cored and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted if desired
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place bulgur in a medium bowl with salt, then pour 1-1/4 cups boiling water over top. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit until all of the water is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes
Combine the cooked bulgur with all of the remaining ingredients and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve cold or at room temperature.