Bulgur Pudding with Honey and Dates
- 1 cup #1 fine bulgur use #2 medium for more coarse texture
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 honey to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- 1 cup pitted dates chopped
- 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- ice cream (optional) or sweetened whipped cream (optional) - for garnish
- Combine the bulgur and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until the water is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the milk, 1/4 cup of honey, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, uncovered, at a gentle boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture develops the consistency of porridge - about 5 minutes. Stir in walnuts, dates and currants. Sweeten with additional honey if desired. Serve warm in bowls and top with the ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.