Bulgur Apple Salad
Servings 4 people
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup #2medium or #3 coarse grain bulgur wheat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tart apple, chopped I use Granny Smiths
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 - 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium sized sauce pan, adding the bulgur, onions, celery, and apples
- Cook 2 -3 minutes stirring so that the produce begins to soften and the bulgur begins to toast.
- Add the herbs (sage, thyme, and marjoram) along with the minced garlic and continue to cook 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the stock or water along with the bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to lowest possible flame, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- The bulgur will be tender but chewy.
- Take the bay leaf out.
- Mix in the chopped fresh parsley and season to taste.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.