Bulgur and Chickpea Salad with Parsley Dressing
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves and tender stems (tightly packed)
- 2 tbsp. plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (packed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon harissa or pinch of cayenne (optional)
For the salad:
- 1 can (15 to 19 oz.) chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded cucumber
- 1 cup diced radishes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- In a food processor or blender, blend the oil, lemon juice, parsley, yogurt, lemon zest, salt, and harissa (if using).
- In a large serving bowl, combine the chickpeas, bulgur, cucumbers, radishes, and scallion greens. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Let the salad sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Substitute fresh dill or mint for the parsley.
Substitute 1/2 cup diced pickled turnips for the radishes.
Omit the radishes and substitute finely diced plum tomatoes.
From “Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way” by Lorna Sass