Bulgur and Beef Stuffed Peppers - Microwave
Servings 8 stuffed peppers
- 8 large red, yellow, orange and/or green peppers (with stems if possible)
- 2 cans (14 to 14-1/2 oz.) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed with press
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 pkg. (10-oz) frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed
- 1/2 cup loosely-packed fresh dill chopped
- 2 cans (28-oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- Cut 3/4 inch slice from top of each pepper; reserve tops, including stems. Remove seeds and ribs, and cut a thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they will stand upright.
- Arrange 4 peppers and their tops (separately) on same microwave-safe plate. Cook, uncovered, in microwave on high for 4 minutes. With tongs, transfer tops to paper towel. Microwave peppers 4 to 5 minutes longer or until just tender. Invert peppers onto a double thickness of paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining peppers and tops.
- In microwave-safe large bowl, combine chicken broth and bulgur. Cook, uncovered, in microwave on high 12 to 15 minutes or until bulgur is tender, but still slightly chewy and most of the broth is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in deep 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium until hot. Add onion and garlic, and cook 5 minutes or until onion begins to turn golden, stirring frequently. Remove 1/4 cup onion mixture and reserve. Add beef to remaining onion in skillet and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef with side of spoon. Remove skillet from heat.
- Into beef in skillet, stir bulgur, spinach, dill 1 cup crushed tomatoes and 3/4 cup feta. Fill peppers with bulgur mixture, using a generous cup for each; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup feta. Replace pepper tops.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wipe skillet clean. In same skillet, combine remaining crushed tomatoes, reserved onion mixture, salt and coarsely ground black pepper; heat to boiling on medium-high, stirring occasionally.
- Divide tomato sauce evenly between two 2-quart shallow casseroles or 8" by 8" glass baking dishes. Place 4 peppers in each dish. Cover one dish with foil and bake 35 minutes or until peppers are hot. Prepare second dish for freezing.