Bulgar Pilaf-with toasted pasta, onions and brown butter
- 12 oz coarse bulgur
- 2 tbsp. brown butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth or water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 coils or nests angel hair pasta crushed into 1/4 inch small pieces (optional)
- Place pasta on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees until caramel brown.
- Brown 1 cube of butter by placing it into a small heavy saucepot and cooking it until it browns. Simmer until it starts to foam and then turn brown. About 4 minutes? It should smell like hazelnuts. Strain thru a fine strainer and set aside.
- Wash the bulgur and drain. In a large saucepot fit with a lid, add 2 T of brown butter and soften the onions by cooking for about 5 minutes. Add bulgur and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add broken pasta and liquid and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook vigorously for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat, place a dry dishtowel over it and press the lid down tightly on top. Leave to steam for a further 15-20 minutes. The cloth will absorb all the moisture.
- Fluff with a fork and serve hot with yogurt and a drizzle more of brown butter.