Bow Ties with Arugula, Olives, Bulgur and Tomato Wedges
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 minced garlic
- 1 cup mixed olives pitted and roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 ripe tomatoes cored and cut into thick wedges
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup #3 coarse Bulgur Wheat 8 ounces whole wheat bow-tie or other cut pasta
- 3 cups torn arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Put oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until softens; about 5 minutes. Stir in olives, then add lemon juice and tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until tomatoes are just heated through; turn off heat.
- When water comes to a boil, add bulgur. Let water return to a boil, then add pasta. Cook bow ties until tender but not mushy (start tasting after 5 minutes). Reserve some cooking water, then drain in a strainer to trap grains with pasta.
- Toss pasta and bulgur with tomato mixture, adding some cooking water if needed. Stir in arugula and almonds, taste and adjust seasoning. Let rest for up to 15 minutes; stir again and serve.
Makes 4 servings. *Photo and recipe credit Mark Bittman