Berry Luscious Wheat Berry Dessert
- 2 cups whole wheat berries
- 6 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 2-3 oranges)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. orange zest (from 1 large orange)
- 3 tbsp. honey
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 12 medium strawberries (rinsed, patted dry, hulled and quartered)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries or blackberries (or a combination, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels)
- 4 oz. part-skim or whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (toasted and cooled)
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 4 tsp. honey
- A handful of fresh mint leaves (torn for garnish (optional))
- Combine wheat berries, water and salt in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring mixture to a boil and cover pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45-60 minutes, or until berries are tender with a bite. Drain wheat berries in a colander and transfer them to a large bowl; set aside.
- To make dressing, whisk together the orange juice, olive oil, orange zest, honey and salt in a small bowl. Immediately pour dressing over the wheat berries and toss to combine. Top wheat berries with fruit, spoons of ricotta cheese and nuts. Gently toss to evenly distribute. Stir together yogurt and honey and top each serving with a dollop. Garnish with mint, if desired.
Makes 4-8 dessert servings.