Check out this hearty but light, sweet and savory, chewy with a satisfying crunch recipe by Kristen Swenson Sturt, who states “wheat bulgur is my flat-out favorite whole grain.” Great as a main dish, a side dish or even breakfast!
- 2 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound (about 2 large) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13 glass baking dish with olive oil.
In a medium pot, bring broth and water to a simmer. Keep it simmering while other ingredients are prepared.
To a large mixing bowl, add bulgur wheat, onion, sweet potatoes, parsley, Parmesan, and 1/3 cup almonds. Stir to combine. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine again.
Pour wheat bulgur mixture into prepared baking dish. Pour heated broth over wheat bulgur mixture. Cover tightly with two layers tin foil. Bake 50 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining almonds, and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.