Baked Bulgur and Apples
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. each ground cinnamon or ground ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 lb. golden apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Half-and-half or milk light cream
- In a 1 1/2 to 2-quart pan, bring 3 cups milk and 1/4 cup sugar to boil over high heat, stirring often. Stir in bulgur; cover and set aside at least 25 minutes. In a food processor or bowl, whirl or rub together with fingers remaining sugar, oat, flour, cinnamon, ginger, and butter to form fine crumbs. Then squeeze mixture to make lumps about 1/2 inch thick. Pour bulgur mixture into an 8 by 12 inch oval casserole at least 2 1/2 inches deep; spread level. Lay apples and raisins over it. Cover with foil and bake in a 375° oven until apples are tender when pierced about 20 minutes. Uncover; scatter oatmeal lumps over fruit. Bake until topping is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Spoon into bowls. Add cream to taste.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.