Artichoke Grano Risotto
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups Grano
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 cooked small artichokes quartered, or 2 cooked large artichoke hearts, sliced or one box of frozen artichoke hearts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the Grano and stir for one minute. Add the wine and cook for about 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by two-thirds.
- Transfer the Grano mixture to the slow cooker and add the stock, water and artichokes. Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, until the Grano is firm but tender. Stir in the butter, cheese and salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
- This can also be done as a clay pot in the oven. Transfer all ingredients to a clay pot. Put pot in cool oven. Set at 375 degrees. Cook 2-1/2 hours or until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish and garnish with cheese; serve immediately.